- Fill your own$2
- 1/2 yard (bulk)$35
- Full yard (bulk)$45
1 (cubic) yard = 27 cubic feet
Fill your Own Bag or Bucket
- $2/five gallon bucket
- You may pay at the Barstow's counter with cash, check, or credit (please note $5 minimum on cards)
- Or leave cash or check at the secure collection jar at the compost area.
- There is a five gallon bucket (for easy bag loading) and shovel at the compost pile. Please don't take the bucket or the shovel with you 🙂
- Bring your own container to fill. Barstow's does not have buckets or bags for purchase.
- Compost pile is below large blue slurry storage tank. Turn left at the Barstow Lane farm sign and bear right.
- Please note that Barstow's Dairy Store and Bakery staff are never able to help load or shovel compost as this is a food safety hazard.
SOLD OUT Bulk Compost Pick Up
- Not Available
- Bulk pick-ups should only be between 8am-5pm on weekdays OR 8am-noon Saturdays (compost loading is not available on Sundays). If it is outside this time we may not be able to load. We are a fully operational dairy farm and the schedule of the dairy cows comes first. Thank you for your understanding and respect!
- A full yard is $45. If you are only getting half a yard it is $35.
- Please pay at Barstow's Dairy Store and Bakery with cash, check, or credit.
- Staff at Barstow's Dairy Store and Bakery will give you directions to the compost pad for loading.
- Please do not drive directly to the compost pad without notifying the farmstand or farmers, we won't know you are there unless you tell us!
SOLD OUT Bulk Compost Delivery
- Not Available
- Delivery fee is $90/hour in addition to compost.
- To schedule a bulk delivery, fill out this form, here. (most preferred)
- Or call 413-586-5584 and leave a message with your call back number, address, and desired volume for delivery fee. (not preferred, please use above form instead)
- You may pay with cash or check at the time of delivery, or you can call Barstow's Dairy Store and Bakery with payment type and amount. Do not attempt to make payment until your bulk delivery order is scheduled and confirmed.
- We are no longer offering pre-bagged compost. We do not have enough farm labor to make this feasible anymore. Apologies for any inconvenience.
How is our compost made?
All of the manure from the milking barns goes into the anaerobic digester to later be used on our fields as a chemical free fertilizer.
All of the manure from the heifer barn is destined for compost that we sell in bag-your-own or bulk to the gardeners and soil lovers in our community.
The manure is scraped weekly or more often from the floors of the heifer barn. Because cow manure tends to be pretty liquid (cows are really good at digesting their food!), we add some horse manure from a local farm to make it more solid.
We also add all of the compostable eating ware and food scraps from Barstow’s Dairy Store and Bakery to the compost pile. This includes everything from eggshells to paper plates. By composting all of the waste from the store, we create a zero-waste system. Using even our “trash” to make more food – just in YOUR garden! We are turning food throwaways and biodegradable products into decomposed material used for growing plants and conditioning lawns and gardens.
The compost is turned and tended to by the farmers for 9 months before it is ready for sale.