Barstow’s Dairy Store and Bakery
March Newsletter 2018
Barstow’s Dairy Store and Bakery and Barstow’s Longview Farm are located in the historic Hockanum Village in Hadley, MA. Our motto is “Looking Forward Since 1806” and we’ve been taking great care of our dairy herd and of the 450 acres of land we farm for 212 years. Farm and Store are family owned and operated by 6th and 7th generation Barstow’s. We raise a herd of 550 for dairy and beef. We are committed to sustainability, green power, local food, and building a relationship with our community.
Whether you’re hosting a party or want to bring a little spirit to the office, think green! St. Patrick’s Day is March 17, and we have a great selection of themed desserts for ordering and browsing like:
- Bailey’s Cheesecake
- Bailey’s Cream Cheese Brownies
- Jameson Ganache Cupcakes
Ms. Vidalia was our highest producing cow in the month of February! She produced an average of 167 lbs of milk per day or 19.4 gallons per day!
This is Vidalia’s fifth consecutive time as our highest producer! You can read more about incredibly productive dairy cows like Vidalia on the Barstow Blog.
Easter Sunday is April 1. Pre-order dessert platters, sugar cookies, pierogi, or homemade appetizers and side dishes for your family gathering. Visit our website for all of our party platter and prepared food options. Don’t see what you want? Just ask!
Quick and Dirty
What’s up on the Farm
- Equipment and barn maintenance
- Renewing leases, planning fields and crop rotation
- Keeping our cows warm and dry
- Business as usual
- homemade soup and chili
- chicken pot pies
- homemade meatballs
- chicken tenders
- handmade pierogi
- Barstow’s farm raised beef
- Maple Valley Creamery ice cream
February News Roundup
Here you will find a few articles the Barstow family found intriguing, informative, or interesting this month:
- Enjoying your super bowl snacks, thank a local dairy farmer, ABC 22 News
- What If the U.S. Got Rid of All Livestock?, On Pasture
- Routine Mailing To Dairy Farmers Included A Rare Note: Suicide Hotline Info, NEPR
- CISA helps farmers stay strong in face of economic challenges: Viewpoint, MassLive
- As Milk Prices Decline, Worries About Dairy Farmer Suicides Rise, NPR
- Columnist Claire Morenon: Farmers work all year long, Daily Hampshire Gazette
Join us for our March Dinner! The menu will feature homemade shepherd’s pie made with Barstow’s farm raised ground beef, caramelized carrots, and peas. For dessert, Shannon’s homemade key lime pie.
Meals available to eat in or for take-away. BYOB! This event is family friendly and commuter friendly.
P.S. Take the Barstow’s Anniversary survey!
This survey gives us important feedback on how we can better serve you and should only take about 20 minutes. Upon completion, you’ll have the opportunity to be entered into a raffle to win a $100 gift certificate to Barstow’s Dairy Store and Bakery! Thank you!